When simulating events involving short-duration, large-strain, large-deformation, fracture, complete material failure or structural problems with complex contact interactions, there is an ANSYS explicit dynamics solution to meet any customer's needs. Almost no application is too severe to be simulated with a high-quality software tool from ANSYS. These explicit dynamics products from ANSYS take over where implicit dynamics leaves off.
ANSYS Explicit STR
Based on the robust and time-tested Lagrange (STRuctural) solver of the ANSYS AUTODYN analysis program, ANSYS Explicit STR software is fully integrated into the unified ANSYS Workbench environment. This framework enables convenient and seamless use of a range of multiphysics solutions, including electrical, thermal, mechanical and computational fluid dynamics (CFD).
ANSYS Explicit STR extends the range of problems that can be conveniently and easily solved by the powerful ANSYS mechanical suite by efficiently and accurately simulating short-duration severe loadings and complex contact problems, such as:
- Drop tests (electronics and consumer goods)
- Low- to high-speed solid-to-solid impacts (applications from sporting goods to aerospace)
- Highly nonlinear plastic buckling events (manufacturing processes)
- Complete material failure applications (defense and homeland security)
- Breakable contact, such as adhesives or spot welds (electronics and automotive)
Courtesy of MSE Technology Applicationsand U.S. Department of Defense
ANSYS LS-DYNA software provides convenient and easy-to-use access to the technology-rich, time-tested explicit solver without the need to contend with the complex input requirements of this sophisticated program. Introduced in 1996, ANSYS LS-DYNA capabilities have helped customers in numerous industries resolve highly intricate design issues.
ANSYS Mechanical users have been able take advantage of complex explicit solutions for a long time utilizing the traditional ANSYS Parametric Design Language (APDL) environment. More recently, the powerful and comprehensive ANSYS Workbench environment has delivered bi-directional CAD connectivity, geometry clean-up tools automatic meshing, extensive meshing tools for improving performance, and quick simple definition of initial and boundary conditions, to users of ANSYS LS-DYNA. The explicit dynamic file export feature provides all the power of ANSYS Workbench and produces an input file (.k) that is run by the LS-DYNA solver. The LS-PrePost program included with each installation provides a user-friendly yet powerful way to view the results of the simulation.
ANSYS AUTODYN software is a versatile explicit analysis tool for modeling the nonlinear dynamics of solids, fluids, gases and their interactions. The product has been developed to provide advanced capabilities within a robust, easy-to-use software tool. Simulation projects can be completed with significantly less effort, less time and lower labor costs than with other explicit programs. This high productivity is a result of the easy-to-use, quick-to-learn, intuitive, interactive graphical interface implemented. Time and effort are saved in problem setup and analysis by automatic options to define contact, by coupling interfaces and by minimizing input requirements using safe logical defaults.
The solver technology in ANSYS AUTODYN provides:
- Finite element solvers for computational structural dynamics (FE)
- Finite volume solvers for fast transient computational fluid dynamics (CFD)
- Mesh-free particle solvers for high velocities, large deformation and fragmentation (SPH)
- Multisolver coupling for multiphysics solutions including coupling between FE, CFD and SPH
- A wide suite of material models incorporating constitutive response and coupled thermodynamics
- Serial and parallel computation on shared and distributed memory systems